I need a break!

 


I just need a break from everything for a little while

Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes… including you

Even writing those words at the top, I realised that this is an area I struggle with. What does taking a break mean? I certainly do remove myself from the office; I sit myself on the couch and watch tele. But, if I’m being honest, do I take a break mentally from work when I sit on my phone reading E-mails. This is an area that I am working on and people speak to me about and I’ve started to make inroads with. However, at the moment, I am still at the stage of having to force myself to switch off by leaving my phone when I go for walks or I take my daughter to the park.

 

For this piece, I thought, as a way of helping my own self-improvement, I would ask for a fresh perspective: The rest of this piece is written by a close friend of mine, Gavin. He was the best man at my wedding, a teacher and SENDCO at another school and a cracking guy. Please do not think by any stretch this is only relevant to the teaching profession. Every job brings their own pressures and rewards and I do believe that no matter our vocation, we need to build in time for ourselves and hopefully you can draw this from Gavin’s perspective on it.

I hope you can draw bits from it to help as I know I have!

 

Take a break from a busy schedule

By Gavin Dick (Yes that is his surname!)

 

After an uncertain and non-stop year – including seemingly never-ending lockdowns, restrictions, and changes – are things more settled now?

In my personal life? Yes.  Professionally? Not even close.

Due to Covid-19, my work has changed a lot over recent times. In some ways (I’m not marking as many books at the moment) my job is easier but in others my job is much more intense. From online tutorials, home learning, digital marking and the day-to-day work involved in a school…the to-do list can be over-whelming, and never-ending, at times.

As a class teacher and SENCO, the job is simply never done. This never used to bother me, but it does wear you down over time. Over the years, I have been known to ‘burn out’ during term time and I never looked at half-term as a holiday, simply a way to do one of two things;

 

1 – Catch up on planning/marking/admin from the half term, or

2 – Get ahead with planning/admin for the next half term.

 

People close to me know that I often struggle to switch off and occasionally the job won’t allow for it. Just a few comments that I have heard on more than one occasion, by more than one person:

“You never stop, why have you always got work to do?”  “Take a break Gav…” “Just switch off for a while.”

“Easier said than done,” would be my blunt response.

There is a fine line between passion and obsession and an even finer line trying to keep a work-life balance but it shouldn’t be ‘easier said than done’ to simply take a break.

It is only over the course of last year – when I had major upheavals in my life – that I was able to appreciate what is truly important in life…

-       Health and well-being

-       Positive relationships with those that I care about.

It has taken a lot of self-reflection and discipline to come to terms with not feeling guilty for having a break from a busy schedule.  I came to realise that I won’t be thanked for working every possible hour the day offers me and not having ‘down-time’. Here are some ways that I have taken a break from a busy schedule recently:

Ø  Made – and listened to – a playlist

Ø  Picked up a coffee and went for a walk

Ø  Gone for a drive

Ø  Listened to a podcast

Ø  Watched a true-crime series on Netflix

Ø  Did a workout

Ø  Phoned my parents for a proper catch up

Ø  Meal-prep for the next few meals

Ø  Watched Campervan conversion videos on YouTube (Not that I have a van to convert yet!)

Ø  Wrote this blog!

Some positive outcomes from taking these breaks:

      i.        A brief distraction from work

     ii.        Appreciation for the little things

    iii.        Quality connection and conversation with family

   iv.        Enjoying a treat (I am a sucker for a Starbucks Caramel macchiato!)

     v.        Broadening my horizons with recommended podcasts

   vi.        Feeling more energetic due to taking short breaks and exercising

  vii.        Eating healthier and having better lunches due to meal prep.

 viii.        Saved a bit of money by not buying as many snacks/junk food.

Now for the negatives:

      i.        The work is still there.

Clearly, the positives outweigh the negatives so it is time to stop feeling guilty for giving yourself a break and time to cherish the moments of relaxation and reflection that come with stopping to catch your breath sometimes.

https://www.ciphr.com/advice/taking-breaks/

Gavin Dick, Teacher and SENDCO

 

It is really nice to get the opportunity to read someone elses interpretation on a topic area. Like I mentioned at the beginning, taking a break is something I find tricky. But even by reading Gav’s comments and researching some quotes to include in this, I have realised that to be as productive as I want to be, I need to perhaps take a little bit more time for myself- without my phone and without thinking about work.

Abraham Lincoln once said:

“Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe.” Put time on your calendar to sharpen your axe.”

Once upon a time, a very strong woodcutter asked for a job in a timber merchant. The pay was really good and so were the working conditions. For those reasons, the woodcutter was determined to do his best.

His boss gave him an axe and showed him the area where he would work.

The first day, the woodcutter felled 18 trees.

“Congratulations,” the boss said. “Go on that way!”

Motivated by the boss words, the woodcutter tried harder the next day, but he could only bring down 15 trees. The third day he tried even harder, but he could only manage 10 trees. Day after day, he finished with fewer trees.

“I must be losing my strength,” the woodcutter thought. He went to the boss and apologized, saying that he could not understand what was going on.

“When was the last time you sharpened your axe?,” the boss asked.

“Sharpen? I’ve had no time to sharpen my axe. I have been so busy trying to cut trees….”

I hope you have found this thought-provoking and I am really interested in your thoughts on this so please do take time to comment.

Next week is all about something you enjoy so please do get in touch if you wish to contribute.

We look forward to seeing you all very soon as welcome the rest of our children back.

Stay safe and keep that axe sharp!

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'll just have a water, thanks

Do something you enjoy!

It's good to talk