I'll just have a water, thanks

 


I’ll just have a water, thanks

“It’s strange how drinking cups of water seem impossible but 5 cups of coffee go down like the Titanic”

Feeling thirsty- I’ll grab a coffee. Feeling bored-mine’s a coffee. I’m hungry (and it’s not a socially acceptable time to eat lunch) go on then, a coffee. This isn’t my confession to having an unhealthy obsession with caffeine. I am however reflecting on perhaps I do choose a coffee as my go to drink a bit more often than I should. This week’s blog is to help me (and perhaps one or two others) consider a subtle change to my everyday living that could have quite significant benefits. I’ve got into a bit of a habit of working and consuming coffee and I am going to use this piece to unpick why. Does is quench my thirst? Science says not. So perhaps it is a force of habit. Like a lot of what I write about, I go through good spells and bad spells. Weeks of exercise followed by a fallow period. The most balanced diet followed by a surge on not so healthy choices. And water is no different. There are a few of us at work who have set ourselves challenges to drink more water. Some have taken it a bit too seriously with a purchase of an unnecessary, over-sized water bottle with a clear target indicated on it (I will not name and shame). Nevertheless, the intention from us all is to drink more water in a bid to feel to be fresher.

 

I for one, am prone to headaches and as my wife would vouch, when I have a headache, the world appears to end. I do feel that this links to some poor food choices (see last week) and not enough water. Do I need two cans of Coke? (even though it’s Diet Coke!) If I’m being honest, No! Perhaps the one and then a bottle of water would suffice. When looking back at the quote at the top, it really does make sense. How come we can enjoy certain drinks and consume numerous cups/glasses/pints but when it comes to water it seems we are forcing it down. Well perhaps that’s just it. I am seeing it as a task and not one that has been engrained as part of my lifestyle (alongside a coffee or two and a diet coke).

This week, Year 6 have been thinking of this topic and have pulled together to write this rather persuasive piece on the benefits of water.

 

            How much water do you drink each day? In the current circumstances, where everything seems different, one thing remains the same… the benefits of drinking water. Don’t think we haven’t noticed you turning to those extra coffees due to the stresses of home schooling, lost Zoom links, yelling siblings and low battery laptops. Our booklets are covered in coffee stains and this needs to change! Coffee, tea, juice and fizzy drinks are the things we all reach for when the going gets tough. And – truth be told – we all get why. Basically, anything is tastier than water and we know, by this point, that its taste is the equivalent of liquidised home schooling! NOT the preferred choice for ANY of us! However, we all need to make a change.

There are so many benefits of drinking water that we feel are vital to all you adults attempting to fill in as our teachers during yet another lockdown.

·         Drinking water maximises performance in exercise and with all of those Joe Wicks, Zumba and circuits sessions you are going to need it!

·         Increased water intake improves energy levels and brain function which is absolutely needed when you’re tearing your hair out over Phonics, fronted adverbials and multiplying fractions.

·         Drinking a minimum of 2 litres of water every day can treat and prevent headaches and let’s face it – everything is a headache at the minute!

·         Put on a few pounds over lockdown? Increasing the amount of water you drink has been proven to assist with weight loss and even speed it up!

Why not set us up with a family challenge? We could all work together to drink our water bottles each day and we are sure we will see the benefits. There must be a reason our teachers always nag us about bringing a water bottle to school – right?

Year 6 children with the support of Miss Smith and Miss Short

 

 

It is their intention to persuade, so if you, like me felt a little bit in trouble for making poor choices, please don’t. They have produced a really thought-proving piece and I, for one, certainly am considering their points.  The whole purpose of this blog is to raise a bit of awareness and prompt a bit of thinking. Because of this, I am really interested in your views. SO if you have taken the time to read this, please do comment and add your own reflections as you, too, can help provoke further discussions and reflections.

Stay hydrated and more importantly

stay SAFE!

Comments

  1. Great post!! I’m a total water junkie. Drink so much of it throughout the day. I find having a water bottle close by is a great way of staying hydrated as it is always on hand. Adding slices of fresh fruit like lemon/lime/orange is a good way to jazz it up. You can also get pocket sized robinsons squash which are handy to add in if you don’t like the taste of plain water :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's brilliant! Well done guys! Great piece :-)
    I totally support this subject. Water is an amazing and important part of our life and bodies. Its pure aspect, the fresh taste and its ability to quench thirst have always been something almost magical to me. Since I was little I was bombarded with messages about how drinking water keeps our skin radiant and our body healthy, helping washing out all toxins and keeping our body hydrated. I love a proper espresso...but water is my best friend: massive glasses next to me while I work so that I don't forget to drink, and a bottle always by my bedside. Hurray for water!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Do something you enjoy!

It's good to talk